are you our next land team fixer?
bunnyhomes requires a motivated and enthusiastic Land & Planning Assistant looking to progress their career within the development industry.
You will be part of a dynamic company seeking expansion throughout the new homes sector in Devon & Cornwall. You will be exposed to a wide range of land acquisition & planning functions including identifying and assessing land opportunities, financial appraisals, offers and contracts, formulating, submitting & securing planning applications, and project management and reporting.
about the role:
Job title: Land & Planning Assistant.
Reports to: Head of Land & Planning.
Job purpose: To contribute to the acquisition of development sites & submission of planning applications across Devon & Cornwall in order for land & planning targets to be met.
Scope: The Land & Planning team within bunnyhomes is responsible for identifying, evaluating and securing sufficient sites for residential development, on a cost-effective basis, and for delivering the company’s strategic land objectives by achieving and maintaining a quality land pipeline. It is also responsible for promoting longer-term opportunities through the planning process and for converting the land acquired into deliverable planning permissions prior to construction.
Location: Based in our Head Office in Bodmin.
Salary: Package will be in line with industry and experience.
- Support the Head of Land & Planning in the identification and acquisition of sites, assisting in project acquisition from identification, due diligence, offer, contract, purchase, planning to prestart on the sites acquired;
- Assist in producing professional acquisition packs to enable land acquisition to proceed;
- Assist in the management & co-ordination of a range of planning applications, appeals, preapplication enquiries & planning promotions;
- With the assistance of the Head of Land and Planning, to develop and maintain a full understanding of the land appraisal system and the various internal procedures involved in investigating, reporting and ultimately purchasing land;
- Acquire a sound knowledge of technical aspects covering the acquisition and development of land and associated legal agreements and assist in collating and interpreting such information in the land valuation process;
- Undertake community engagement, help prepare for committee meetings and planning appeals;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local authorities, local agents, landowners and other developers within the Divisional geographical area, in pursuit of opportunities for the company;
- Ensure familiarity with bunnyhomes’ Health, Safety and Environmental policies and comply with employee responsibilities; and
- At all times comply with company policies, procedures and instructions.
These are illustrative duties and the post holder will be expected to become involved in a range of work to enable the department to respond effectively to the requirements of the business.
We anticipate this will be your 1st or 2nd role after leaving education and that most tasks will initially require coaching and monitoring and we are prepared for this.
Effective working relationships are an essential part of daily working life. The focus in this role is both:-
Internal: With colleagues throughout the rest of the company. We’re a small & agile team and our ability to communicate effectively with each other is essential and part of our competitive advantage; and
External: Local Authorities and other public bodies, local agents, land-owners, other developers and Consultants. We communicate with a wide range of external stakeholders and need to ensure that we understand & help them meet their objectives.
skills & experience:
- Attention to detail and the ability to research, analyse and present complex information;
- Ability to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of tasks;
- Articulate, clear and focussed individual, able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment;
- Good project management skills;
- Good IT skills with a focus on the presentation of data; and
- A full driving licence is essential as travel throughout Devon & Cornwall is an integral part of the role.
- Some familiarity with aspects of land acquisition - sourcing land, formulation of offer, financial appraisal, market research, technical, commercial, risk & due diligence;
- Some familiarity with the UK planning system;
- Ideally you will have completed a relevant degree in either Development Surveying, Town Planning or similar and / or currently be working in the industry; and
- Geographical knowledge of the area.